Amish Voters?

by Meghann on November 4, 2008

Cnn.com has been up on my computer all morning. I love how they are constantly updating and putting new stories up to read. My favorite was the photo they had on the homepage of an Amish person voting. Yes, their votes count too. J (at least I think they do?)

I did a mail out this morning to several schools all over the country and I got a lot of out of office replies from districts saying they were closed due to the Election Day Holiday. Soooo, not fair. I do not remember getting school off for Election Day when I was younger, did any of you?

While keeping up to date with all of the election new this morning I snacked on a Honey Crisp Apple mid morning.

cimg3108

I know these are pricey, but I figure one yummy apple a week is not going to hurt the bank. I purchased this apple and a $2.99 bag of red galas on Sunday. It’s all about balance if you ask me. J

Lunch today was thrown together this morning while I was simultaneously putting clothes in the dryer, straightening my hair, feeding the dog, and eating my own breakfast. Making lunches in the morning can be hectic.

cimg3109

I am eating at my desk today so I can leave early today. Not as fun or entertaining as going home for lunch, but its worth it to be able to vote.

I started with some vegetable dumplings that I had in my freezer and threw in the microwave at work.

cimg3110

And then a small salad with everything in my fridge on it. I am so bad at controlling my toppings on salad, I just want everything possible on it.

cimg3111

Salad consisted of:

• Spinach
  • Mushrooms
  • Pineapple
  • Carrot
  • Zucchini
  • Feta
  • Tomato

I had some Mango Poppyseed Dressing on the side that I sipped my fork into for the salad and also dipped the dumplings in as well.

cimg3112

And lastly, I felt my lunch needed another element so I added two random graham crackers to my lunch bag.

cimg3114

I was very glad I threw those in. It was the dessert of my lunch. J

Poor Abbie will just have to wait until 3:00 to be let out to potty. I actually have to drive all the way to my parents to vote since I am technically still registered at their address. I don’t mind it though. I have an appointment for Abbie with the vet and my Daddy is making a yummy dinner for me. It should be fun. J

1 Anonymous November 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Are you that ignorant to even question whether the Amish would have their votes counted? Since when do we have to indicate our religion on our ballots as a measure of being counted…?

2 graduatemeghann November 4, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Anon – I was not trying to be ignorant. Honestly I don’t even think of the Amish in any religous form, nor do I look at anybody as any sort of religious bias. (I’m agnostic by the way) I should have done a little research before I posted, I just thought the Amish did not pay taxes and I was wondering if people who didn’t pay taxes could vote .Maybe they do pay taxes, again I didn’t research anything so I don’t know. I’m sorry if I offended anyone with this post. I will proceed to put my foot in my mouth.

3 Maggie November 4, 2008 at 2:26 pm

I definitely never got election day off!

I love everything but the kitchen sink salads 🙂

4 Erica November 4, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Hey girl- that lunch looks great- especially considering you were multitasking while making it!!!! I love dumplings/pot stickers! I am going to spend some time tonight looking for inspiration for my BSI recipe! Josh does not like eggplant so I need to make something where I can make half with eggplant half without! Wish me luck!!

5 Anna November 4, 2008 at 2:59 pm

I teach 3rd grade AND our school is a polling site and we still don’t have school off. It was pretty crazy here this morning, but also exciting. The whole school voted yesterday – the kids are catching election fever! 🙂

6 Hangry Pants November 4, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Yes, I had election day off. They vote in schools here.

Lunch looks fabulous. Oh and yes, you are feisty!

7 biz319 November 4, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Your poppy seed dressing looks yummy!

Happy voting!

8 seeleelive November 4, 2008 at 3:43 pm

I always had election day off to. From K-Senior year of high school-so this is a first time-having classes on a bonafide “holiday”!

9 VeggieGirl November 4, 2008 at 3:47 pm

HONEYCRISP APPLE!!! 😀

10 Erin November 4, 2008 at 4:12 pm

I wish I had today off of work! 🙂

11 LittleEngine November 4, 2008 at 4:37 pm

wow, that apple looks INCREDIBLE.

happy election dayy!

12 Megan November 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Yum! Vegetable dumplings!

13 caitlin November 4, 2008 at 5:42 pm
14 Amy November 4, 2008 at 5:58 pm

i always got off of school back in elementary, middle, and highschool years. my brother goes to USC (south carolina) and they have off today…i dont! nice lunch spread, and i love graham cracker sheets 😀 also, where is the mango poppyseed dressing from?

15 wholefoodswholeme November 4, 2008 at 6:13 pm

that dressing sounds amazing! love all the variety in your lunch. look forward to dinner!

16 jess November 4, 2008 at 7:21 pm

It sounds like your drive will be more than worth it- not only to vote, but getting a vet appt out of the way AND a homecooked parent meal (there’s nothin like ’em)-score!

Just a quick curiousity… how did the pineapple and feta mix together? Haha. Perhaps it just sounds like an odd combo to me; but sometimes odd combinations turn out the best.

Have a great night!

17 jess November 4, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Oh, and to anon… it’s absolutely not ignorant to Question- that’s how we learn. It didn’t seem as if meghann was assumming anything. Plus, with so much of the information available relying on technology nowadays (not to mention a lot of the polls themselves) it seems natural to wonder how up to date extremely rural communities can stay.

And meghann- I definitely didn’t get election day off- bummer!!

18 Erin November 4, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Little drama in the comments section!
Feta = a better life.

19 Alexia November 4, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Don’t let that comment get to you. People can just be jerks and always jump to conclusions. Maybe they should have asked what you meant by it before getting all pissy!

I didn’t get election day off either and never have when I was in school. Wonder why they got it off?!?!

I love honey crisp apples… they are just so CRISP 🙂

I love graham crackers too 🙂

Have a great night!

20 Lindsay November 4, 2008 at 9:37 pm

love that yummy looking apple!

have a great time with your parents 🙂