Chocolate Detox

by Meghann on November 3, 2008

In the office kitchen this morning there was a HUGE bowl of candy sitting on the table. I do not know why, but something in the back of my head told me to pick up a mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cup(bad evil voice). With the Reeses I had a cup of Hot Chocolate. I found the Swiss Miss Diet Hot Chocolate (which only contains 25 calories per cup) at the grocery store this weekend and decided to bring a packet into work for my mid morning snack.

I was not in the mood for Hot Chocolate, but I was dying to try my new purchase. It was good, but I think I need to be in the mood to truly enjoy it. After I had the Reeses I realized consuming all the unnecessary morning chocolate was a mistake. I think I have finally had my fill of chocolate for the time being. My stomach was not happy this morning and felt bloated and icky. I think I am at chocolate overload and need a detox from it. So I am proclaiming the rest of the week to be chocolate free! (Let’s see how long I last on that proclamation) J

Since my tummy wasn’t feeling to great from the morning snack, I decided to have something light and refreshing for lunch and created a Mexican Salad.

My Meixcan Salad consisted of:

• Spinach
  • Zucchini
  • Yellow Squash
  • Mushrooms
  • Olives
  • Tomato
  • Corn
  • Black Beans
  • Shredded Corn Tortilla
  • Salsa

I had a piece of Dave’s Killer Bread toasted on the side hoping it would soak up some of the yuckiness in my belly.

The real food really did help and I felt so much better after I had all of this in my tummy. The salad was exactly what I needed!

Now as along as I avoid the office kitchen the rest of the week I think I will be fine. J

Don’t forget to tune in tonight for the new Blogger Secret Ingredient to be revealed! I promise I will try to post dinner early!

1 jess November 3, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Hmm, perhaps an either/or policy will have to be instigated on the reeses and hot cocoa (although that hot chocolate sounds like a good find!).

Hope you’re feeling a bit better. Lunch looks like the perfect thing to help settle a bloaty ick feeling.

Can’t wait for the ‘big reveal’ 🙂

2 Krista November 3, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Can’t wait to hear what the BSI is this week! Yipee!

3 wholefoodswholeme November 3, 2008 at 2:30 pm

sometimes you just have to get right to the edge when it comes to chocolate, to kill that craving 🙂 your salad looks delicious, and so good for you that it completely cancels out any trace of choc!

4 Maggie November 3, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Veggies make everything better 🙂

Can’t wait for the BSI!

5 Allison November 3, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Sorry your belly feels werid! Can’t wait to find out the secret ingredient!

6 Megan November 3, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Awesome salad. Hope your tummy continues to feel better!

7 caitlin November 3, 2008 at 3:11 pm

no chocolate?! ur crazy!!!

8 Amy November 3, 2008 at 3:21 pm

any week declared “chocolate-free” is not a week i wanna experience! you crazy girl, haha. anyway, the lunch looks delicious and i hope you continue to feel better throughout the day. i’ll definitely be checking back tonight for the big reveal!

9 VeggieGirl November 3, 2008 at 3:48 pm

As a carob-lover, I’m LOVING your chocolate detox!! Check out the right-hand side of my blog for information regarding my “no chocolate rule” 🙂

10 Jenny November 3, 2008 at 3:51 pm

There’s definitely NO shame if you go back on your “chocolate-free” declaration 🙂

I’m anxiously awaiting the BSI!

Have a great rest of the day!

11 Amanda November 3, 2008 at 3:59 pm

I hear ya on the anti-chocolate week. After all of the Halloween candy at my boyfriend’s and the office, I feel like it’s best to avoid it for a few days. That and alcohol! I am a big fan of that 25 calorie diet hot chocolate, I really like having it at night as a sweet ending to dinner .. that along with some yogurt and berries make for a healthier dessert alternative!

Mmm you just reminded me of the cans of corn and black beans in my pantry that are dying to be made into something Mexican – thanks!

12 sarah November 3, 2008 at 6:08 pm

if i had to guess, it would be that it was the diet hot chocolate was what made you bloated and icky — what kind of sugar substitute was in it?

your blog is so cute 🙂 and the mexican salad looks delicious!

13 Bridget November 3, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Loving the salad, looks soooo good…I want salsa now! I know what you mean with all the candy around…and its so tempting because they are all mini sized! I’m jealous of your run…I have been so insanely busy lately my workouts have been suffering!

Cant wait for the BSI…I know I say this every time, but maybe I will ACTUALLY make something for it this week!

14 seeleelive November 3, 2008 at 7:31 pm

i agree with sarah-sometimes “diet” foods and foods containing aspartame or other artificial sweeteners. these are the ingredients for the hot cocoa:

Ingredients: nonfat dry milk, cocoa, calcium carbonate, modified whey, salt, carrageenan, sucralose, natural and artificial flavors, disodium phosphate, acesulfame potassium

how does it taste? is it satisfying? maybe going a week sounds like a good idea but a diet without chocolate is like a night without stars!

15 Andrea November 3, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Your salad looks great! Can’t wait for the BSI…I’m fairly new to this, can anybody enter? Will you give a couple details on how it works? Thank you! 🙂

Work kitchens are dangerous! Luckily I now work with all men, 2 good things come of that. 1. no goodies arrive in our kitchen unless I bring them and 2. when I bring goodies they are gone immediately!

16 marafaye November 3, 2008 at 9:25 pm

OH i’m so excited to have been sent here for the BSI!!! Itzy’s Kitchen sent me…and I’m eager to make an eggplant dish!

17 Alicia November 4, 2008 at 4:45 am

It’s probably the hot chocolate. I’m sorry to say that but that diet swiss miss tastes vile! I was unfortunate to buy a box years back and regretted it. It tastes alkali and not like hot chocolate at all.