Tempted Again

by Meghann on October 30, 2008

Treat Week needs to end right now. I was tempted yet again today with a couple of cakes and sugar cookies. These were not just any sugar cookies, oh no, but the soft ones with yummy sugary icing and sprinkles on top.J These cookies are what dreams are made of.

With my morning tea I some how ended up with a half of a cookie and a bite of a lemon glazed cake on my plate. I need to start making my tea in the kitchen on the other side of the building so I don’t even catch a glimpse of what is in the kitchen. I need to remember this when we have the same type of Treat Week before Thanksgiving and Christmas. J Luckily tomorrow is the last day of Halloween Treat Week and I have signed up to bring in something yummy to share. You will have to stay tuned to see what I bake tonight. 😉

Lunch was a wonderful, quickly thrown together creation.

The Star of my plate was the Open Face Tuna Melt Pita

I mixed up a small can of Tuna with Tomatoes, Spicy Brown Mustard, Honey Mustard and a tiny bit of Fat Free Mayo. I dumped the Tuna mixture on top of a Pita I toasted under the broiler. I then covered the Tuna with a slice of Fat Free Swiss Cheese and put it under the broiler for a couple of more minutes. The FF cheese doesn’t really melt very pretty, but its still cheesy goodness.

On the side I made a shredded salad of Zucchini and Yellow Squash and had a couple of Cucumber slices and some grapes.

It’s funny because I never really liked canned tuna as a kid. In the past year I’m learning that with tuna, as well as other several foods I disliked, it wasn’t so much the item I disliked, but the way it was served to me. My parents used to just mix a can of tuna with a ton of mayo and make a sandwich on some generic bread I never cared for. Not my idea of a good meal. Canned tuna is much better mixed with some mustards and veggies and then heated it up with cheese. The melt I made today is my idea of canned tuna perfection.

Can you believe it’s almost Friday? This week sure has flown by!! Thursday Oct. 30 is marked as ‘Baking Day’ on my calendar. I am going to be baking up a storm tonight. I can’t wait!

1 Jen October 30, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Tuna + hummus + pickles = a DELICIOUS PROTEIN packed meal!!

2 Erin October 30, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I hear you on the melting – or lack of it. I switched to 2% and it’s much better.

3 gina (fitnessista) October 30, 2008 at 2:54 pm

i’m baking today, too! 😀
those cookies with the icing are my favorite cookies EVER! especially the ones with pink frosting!!!
have a wonderful day!

4 jenngirl October 30, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Ah those cakey, soft cookies are the devil…mainly due to the blood sugar crash they’ve caused me in the past…damn sugar.

Ah I’m jealous of your baking night, can’t wait to see what’s cookin’!! 🙂

5 Amy October 30, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I’m excited to see what youre going to bake tonight! And I really do love “those” sugar cookies…I remember them all too well from elementary school parties and such. You’re allowed to have treats this week…its Halloween tomorrow 😀

6 Andrea (Off Her Cork) October 30, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I’m actually going through the same thing! Since I’ve been on my own and cooking for me and the hubs, I have discovered so many food items that I used to dislike only to realize it was how they were made/served that I didn’t like, not the actual food. It’s actually opened a lot of doors for me now and I’m exploring more stuff.

7 Danielle October 30, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Oh my gosh, your lunch looks sooo yummy! What a great idea!

And I’d just like to second the fact that those sugar cookies “are what dreams are made of.” They’re bad and yet undeniably so very good 😉

8 HangryPants October 30, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Treatt Week sounds horrible! But, I would have been all over that lemon cake!

9 strongandhealthy October 30, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I love tuna melts! I remember having them on english muffins for dinner when I was growing up. Maybe it’s time for me to make one again!

10 Melissa October 30, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Great idea with the tuna melt!!! I’ve never done it on a pita like that before – looks kinda like a Tuna Pita Pizza 🙂

Hey, you could have done worse with the treats so pat yourself on the back. Plus I think if you took the time to photograph them, it was thought out and not just a “quick, shove it in your mouth, and regret it later”!

11 bobbi October 30, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I can’t believe its almost friday as well! It has been a crazy week! I love tuna melts your lunch looks a lot better then mine, and I was tempted by this corn muffin casserole that was som warm and gooey, but thats because it was loaded with butter:) I am excited to see you train for the half, you will love it!

12 maggie October 30, 2008 at 5:27 pm

That open-faced tuna melt looks so yummy 🙂

Happy Thursday!

13 VeggieGirl October 30, 2008 at 5:41 pm

COOKIE!! 😀

Um, no, this week has NOT flown by – I’ve had midterm after midterm, paper after paper… I’m dying. I NEED THE WEEKEND ALREADY!!

14 Julz October 30, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Egg, Tun, + Chix Salads – I LOVED the mayo-versions! I just do w/o them in gen bc I only like the mayo-laden ones 🙂

15 wholefoodswholeme October 30, 2008 at 7:38 pm

haven’t had tuna melt in soooo long, yours really sparked a craving within me 😉

can’t wait to see what you bake!

well those treats look worth it 😀 don’t sweat! you are so healthy always, these little things from time to time really won’t do you any longterm harm whatsoever!

16 Alexia October 30, 2008 at 7:46 pm

OMG! I love love love those cookies! Yummmm!

I swear you have the best looking meals and great ideas! I am so boring with my food choices :)~

17 Lee (seelivelee) October 30, 2008 at 8:07 pm

oh my god this is nuts!! girl, i just got my halloween costume today—and i am being HERMIONE too! i remember looking at ur pics and seeing thats what you were too!! yayyy ahah

18 Lee (seelivelee) October 30, 2008 at 8:09 pm

and look at the positive side. you kept your treats at a moderate amount. honestly, this should not make a significant impact on your weight. in fact, the rules are quite simple! i am SURE you know this but as long as you continue to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full, you can eat about anything you want- just in moderation. treating yourself is the way to go!!! and come on-it’s halloween week-the fall festivities are just beginning!! 😀

19 Megan October 30, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Love the tuna melt!

Can’t wait to see what you bake up tonight! Have fun!