I Survived the Cold

by Meghann on October 30, 2008

I was determined to brave the cold this morning to get my run in. Luckily it wasn’t as cold out this morning as it was yesterday. I bundled up in sweatpants, t-shirts, a light jacket and made my way out the door. I really appreciated all of your suggestions yesterday morning on what to wear for running in the cold. I am going to need to invest in some spandex, gloves and a headband for future cold mornings.

Once you start running the cold really is not that bad. The only thing I had a problem with was my ears (that’s why headband is #1 on my list). It also helped that before I walked out the door I did 20 or so jumping jacks to warm my body up.

Morning Stats:

Distance: 4.25 miles

Time: 43 mins 15 secs

I debated this morning to have another warm breakfast or to have some much desired cereal. I went with what I desired: cereal!

In the mix: the last of my bag of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, ½ cup 365 Brand Peanut Butter Puffs, 2 spoonfuls of Applesauce, the last of the jar of Almond Butter, and 3 Strawberries.

I’m so glad I went with what I was craving. I’m sure the warm breakfast would have warmed me up, but this was just as satisfying.

I am registering for my Half Marathon this morning! It’s not until December 6, but I feel as if I am one step closer to it with the registration complete. I paid too much money, no backing out now! If you would have told me a year ago that I was this excited to register to run 13 miles I would have thought you were crazy! So much has changed this year and I think this half marathon will be the perfect way to end this amazing year. After this who knows what I will do next, maybe a triatalon or even a full marathon?!?!? I guess I will just have to wait to see where 2009 will take me! J

1 lauren October 30, 2008 at 9:29 am

great job on the run this morning!! having a running head band is the best, especially when it is windy and cold! so exciting about the half marathon! and you could definitely do a triathlon or FULL marathon! I have done a few tris, but am just not a strong swimmer, so it is always scary for me!

2 wholefoodswholeme October 30, 2008 at 9:38 am

ah you are brave! i will have to think of you next time i’m cowering from a workout due to the outside chill. your cereal looks so pretty!

so great that you signed up for the marathon!!

3 Megan October 30, 2008 at 9:44 am

Great job braving the cold. What a great breakfast combination!

4 Allison October 30, 2008 at 10:18 am

Yay! Congrats on signing up for the half marathon! 🙂 I’m so happy for you!

5 caitlin October 30, 2008 at 10:34 am

yayyyy i wish i could run the half with you or watch you run it!!! but i will be drunk and wearing a penis veil. 🙂

6 Kristie October 30, 2008 at 11:12 am

Good job on the sign up! Someday maybe I’ll reach the point where I sign up for one of those… someday…

And sometimes, cereal really DOES make the perfect breakfast. I’ve never thought to throw applesauce into the mix though. Great idea!

7 ashley October 30, 2008 at 11:16 am

Congratulations on registering for the HALF! I have the receipt for my half taped to my door to remind me to get out and run!

8 Rae October 30, 2008 at 11:25 am

I think you would really enjoy a triatjlon! I started out as a runner, then did tri’s to cross train, and its GREAT! More variety, less injury, and alot of fun!

9 VeggieGirl October 30, 2008 at 11:28 am

Kudos for getting through the cold and for signing up for the half-marathon!! Whoo hoo!! 😀

10 Amy October 30, 2008 at 11:51 am

Glad you managed to run in the cold, that’s fantastic! And very exciting that you register for the half-marathon, I can’t wait for you to bang it out 😀

11 Laura October 30, 2008 at 11:52 am

Congrats on signing up for the race! You are so inspirational to hopeful future runners like myself. 🙂

I know what you mean about the cold. I bought myself a headband today to keep my ears warm while I jog.

12 ttfn300 October 30, 2008 at 12:11 pm

ooh ooh, tri 🙂

13 biz319 October 30, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Good job! I always am more committed once I pay money for a race too!

Also, I wear a CoolMax long sleeve shirt as my first layer in cold weather – it wicks away moisture really well. You can find them online, and at places like REI.

14 Lee (seelivelee) October 30, 2008 at 12:50 pm

yayyy! this post makes me so happy hahah. congratulations on registering, and i am So happy you took the advice about the spandex, gloves, and headband!! they will definitley keep you going and its so worth the investment becasue it could mean longer runs, more endurance and a more comfortable experience!! have a good afternoon!
(& p.s. i took a break from warm oats and had some cereal this morning too..it hit the spot! sometimes we just need our good old cool crunch back !!)

15 Melissa October 30, 2008 at 1:36 pm

YAY! That is SO exciting!!!! That is my goal…..someday! HOPEFULLY 🙂

And my ears are the things I need to protect most too – I find if I keep them warm, it makes a big difference!

16 Kelly October 30, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Wow…never thought I would see tuna on your blog. True about the way different foods can be prepared so that you can like them. So I saw that you were interested in doing a triathlon. That’s what I’m talking about! That can be my goal. I have wanted to do one for quite some time now. We should look into one we can do together in the spring.