I am really starting to dig the Perfectly Portioned for One series. Its fun to try to think outside the box and scale back a full meal to one person. Tonight’s meal was the absolute perfect size and filled my tummy up with no left overs!
Perfectly Portioned Lentil Shepherds Pie
I have a mini bread loaf pan that comes in handy from time to time. I would never make bread in it, but for random times like these its the perfect size. I received my mini pan in a baking gift set, but I have seen them sold individually at Wal-Mart and Target.
- 3/4 cup cooked Lentils
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon WW Flour
- 1/4 cup Corn
- 1/4 cup of Green Beans ( or Peas)
- 1 small Sweet Potato
- Cheese (I used my fave reduced fat Jalapeno Cheese)
- Garlic Salt
- On the stove top heat up the lentils and onion.
- In a small bowl mix the chicken broth and flour and pour over the lentils
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 -10 minutes or until sauce reduces
- Once sauce appears thick add the corn, green beans and spices
- Peel the sweet potato and microwave for 4 minutes
- Mash the soft sweet potato with some chicken broth
- Place the lentil combination in the mini loaf pan and then layer mashed sweet potato on top.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, remove top with cheese and bake for 5 more minutes
The lentils made the perfect meat substitute in the shepherds pie. I am really starting to believe you can do just about anything with lentils. I will admit that I have some extra lentils in the fridge that I plan on creating something with later this week, just because they are so versatile.
There is something about Shepherds Pie that is just a comfort food that my Dad used to make all the time when I was little, I simply scaled the serving size back a bit and exchanged some ingredients to make it a bit healthier.
On the side of the Shepherds Pie I had some boiled Bok Choy.
I had never made Bok Choy before so I kept it simple by cooking it as I would with any other greens, cook in boiling water for 5 minutes. They were great on the side.
Dessert tonight came in the form of a serving of Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix.
This afternoon I also had a snack of Grapes and the other half of my Peach from breakfast.
Thank you again for everyone who participated in my Reader Challenge. I posted the results here so go and check it out. Its pretty cool to see where everyone is coming from! You guys are the best and I appreciated each and every one of your comments today. Let’s hope those comments keep on coming!