Brrr…. again

by Meghann on October 29, 2008

It’s official, we’re breaking record low temps in Central Florida this week. My Sister even had a freeze warning up in Tallahassee this morning! When I forced myself out of my nice comfy, toasty warm bed this morning it was 43 degrees out side! Brrrr…… So after I let Abbie quickly do her business I decided I could hold off on running just this one day and decided to do my Billy Blanks: Ultimate Boot Camp Work-Out DVD instead.

For those Northern Runners up there, what do you wear to stay warm on cold morning runs? I was thinking about doing a little shopping this weekend and wanted to pick up some cold weather gear for those just in case moments like this morning. Any suggestions you have would be really appreciated!

Another cold morning, another warm and comforting breakfast.

This morning I added ½ cup of Bulgar Wheat, ½ tablespoon Brown Sugar, dash of Cinnamon, pinch of Salt and ½ a Peach to ½ cup of boiling water and then let it simmer for 10 minutes. I also sprinkled some Homemade Granola on top. It was the perfect cold morning comfort food.

I also broke out my new cute Snowman Bowl.

I LOVE that winter stuff is popping up in the store. If you don’t already know I am OBSESSED with snowflakes ( I even have one tattooed on my foot!), so this time of year I always go a little crazy buying all the snow themed stuff. J

I want to give a big THANK YOU to all my readers who accept my Reader Challenge! All of you ‘lurkers’ really stepped up you game J (Don’t worry I used to be a ‘lurker’ too! 😉 )

It’s amazing to see there are readers from not only all over the country, but all over the world. I feel so honored to have each and every one of you take a peak into my little world every day.

I am going to put together a little map that pinpoints where all of you guys are coming from and hopefully post it on either my lunch or dinner post today. If you have not already done so please check out my Reader Challenge post and comment with where you’re from so I can include you too! This has been really fun and I want to thank everyone again for the great response, you’re the best!!!

1 VeggieGirl October 29, 2008 at 9:10 am

Hang in there with the cold weather – it’s 38°F here this morning, and snowing!!! 🙁

CUTEST. BOWL. EVER.

The Reader Challenge was fun!! Can’t wait to see the map 🙂

Have a lovely Wednesday morning, Meghann!!

2 wholefoodswholeme October 29, 2008 at 9:17 am

that bowl is SO cute!!! love it!

your breafast does look like a great cold-day treat. i like those bootcamp dvds – my dad bought them initially, did them once, and since then the only user has been me 😉

3 Megan October 29, 2008 at 9:24 am

Love the snowman bowl!

Hope you have a great day!

4 seeleelive October 29, 2008 at 9:42 am

I have seen lots of people around the New England area wear spandex, heavy socks, a long sleeve cotton tee shirt with a thin-fleece over it. also, headbands work (the ones that cover your ears). & gloves!! this way, you can layer and if you get hot you can always take off the fleece. but the socks, gloves and earmuffs help to keep the whole body warm!!

5 Melissa October 29, 2008 at 9:43 am

Okay, now you have to post a picture of your snowflake tattoo!!!! I’ve been considering getting a tatto on my foot and love seeing others…..

P.S. Wow, I didn’t know nights got that cold in FL! That is cold…..we were at 22 this morning 🙁 But I guess I should be used to it….lived in WI for 27 years 🙂

6 Mel October 29, 2008 at 9:51 am

I love your snowman bowl, it’s so cute!

Hopefully, your cold weather will pass soon…

7 Allison October 29, 2008 at 10:01 am

Love the snowman bowl! I love all that sort of stuff related to every holiday – all the cute plates/bowls/decorations you get – so fun! 🙂

I have to try that buglur – you really like it right? And just started eating it in the mornings?

8 Amanda October 29, 2008 at 10:04 am

I tend to wear spandex with shorts over them, but my dad prefers more of the windbreaker-ish, lined pants for the bottom. On top, an underarmour base is good with a fleece. Gloves and a headband help a lot, too!

9 maggie October 29, 2008 at 10:09 am

I love winter dishes and holiday stuff too – I’m such a nut. I always complain to Bobby about how he has too much crap, but I definitely buy a lot of clutter around the holiday season too 😉 I just like all the holiday knick knacks.

10 catms916 October 29, 2008 at 10:26 am

I usually wear underarmour heat to foot! Spandex, l-s running shirt (sometimes with a light fleece too) light gloves and a headband to cover my ears is a must!!

I loooove snowflakes too! I get so excited by the first cold day of the year and make a million paper cutouts to put all over my apartment! 🙂

11 hk October 29, 2008 at 10:43 am

I’m late in commenting, but HK logging in from boston, ma!!

Chilly willy here too, break out the christmas decor!

12 CB October 29, 2008 at 10:56 am

Hi there…

You mentioned that you were a lurker too. So how did you get started doing your blog? Any advice or things we should know if we have been toying with the idea as well?

I am glad that you went from a lurker to a blogger because I really enjoy reading your blog!

13 Melissa S. October 29, 2008 at 10:57 am

loved the reader challenge. and i don’t know about cold weather gear…i’m just always cold…so i swear the tight 3/4 length running pants…the one sad pair i have…haha..don’t worry, i wash them. 😉

14 Moran October 29, 2008 at 11:11 am

I loved your bowl!

15 zestycook October 29, 2008 at 11:15 am

Happy Wednesday Meghann. Hope your having a great day! It is starting to get cooler here in eastern Canada as well. Talk soon

Zesty

16 Erin October 29, 2008 at 11:40 am

Let’s see the tattoo Meghann!

17 Julz October 29, 2008 at 11:48 am

When I did run (No longer able due to feet problemos :-\ ), it was ALL ABOUT THE LAYERING! But the fabric is essential, because it really can hurt your skin with materials that rub! My FAVORITE LEGGINGS EVER (I wear them for Yoga, actually) are Anne Taylor Loft and they are the most amazing leggings, ever. Thick enough to insulate, and hug your body perfectly, with no space in between. They also wick away the sweat! I don’t know if you can find them anymore, as I actually bought them at TJ Maxx in Kailua Kona, HI when I lived there, lol, but you should try!The key is to follow our intuition, create joy for our self and enjoy it 100%. Underarmour is great too… Oh and Down Vests are a girl’s best friend, when running. They were for me, at least, because they are light weight, yet they kept my chest and neck area nice and warm and because I don’t have a lot of umm padding in the Chest Region, I’ll take all the assistance I can get 😉

18 Danielle October 29, 2008 at 11:50 am

Oh, I’m up for a challenge 😉 Sorry I missed it last night!

I’m from Valhalla, NY (Westchester) going to school in Syracuse, NY and living in Santiago, Chile. Fun stuff 🙂

19 Amy October 29, 2008 at 12:30 pm

lovely breakfast & what a cute bowl 😀 when its cold out, i run on the treadmill! its too hard for me to dress warm because i end up sweating in the end.

20 jenngirl October 29, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Yep, it’s unseasonally cold here too in MISSISSIPPI! haha I love your reader challenge idea! Happy Wednesday!

21 Hilary October 29, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Definitely a fleece headband that covers your ears. I’m a morning runner too and had to run while it was snowing yesterday and let me tell you that headband makes all the difference! I also like to wear a vest with pockets so as I warm up i can take off my gloves and stuff em in there. But yea I typically wear spandex pants, a tank top (keeps the core warm) long sleeve shirt and a fleece with my gloves and headband

22 sharon October 29, 2008 at 3:13 pm

That bowl is adorable!

I usually run on the treadmill when it’s cold out. I am too much of a wimp! It’s really hard to bundle up because after a bit you start to get all sweaty & there is nowhere to throw your clothes 🙁 So, it’s just easier to wear my normal running clothes and run comfortably indoors!!

23 biz319 October 29, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I love your snowman bowl! I collect snowmen, and I think I have . . .FOUR HUNDRED different snowmen I pull out every year!

I am not kidding. The first time I decorated for Christmas, my husband was in udder shock! So I don’t bring them all out anymore, its kind of nice to rotate them.

Oh, and I have about 20 snowmen coffee cups! I use those all year round though.

My favorite snowman though is the first Christmas my husband and I were married and his son, who was 11 at the time, took the stump of the Christmas tree that we sawed off before putting it in the tree stand.

He spent hours sanding it down, and I kept asking what he was going to do with it, and he always shrugged his shoulders and said he didn’t know.

Well, he sanded it smooth, painted it white and drew a snowman face on it, and my husband cut up one of his shirts and made a hat for it. And on the bottom he wrote “first family Christmas 2000.”

That’s the first one I bring out every year!