The Other Half

by Meghann on October 22, 2008

When I know I am going to end up with left overs from a meal I usually wait and plan the leftovers into my meal plan a couple of days later. This way I don’t feel like I’m eating the same thing over and over again. I finally was able to enjoy the other half of my Apple & Pork Stuffed Acorn Squash for lunch today.

It was still just as tasty as it was on Sunday. J

On the side I had 6 Kashi Vegetable Crackers with pieces of Reduced Fat Jalepeno Cheese on top.

Another perfect lunch.

I made a quick run to Target after work yesterday and as I was casually perusing the aisles, I discovered this baby!

I saw Amy enjoying this trail mix on her blog last week and knew I had to try it! The Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix is made up of cinnamon glazed pecans, raisins, yogurt-covered raisins, pumpkin spice almonds, & graham squares. Yum! It took every bit of will power in my body not to open this pretty package of goodness as soon as I got home last night. I was able to resist and had a ¼ cup servings as my mid morning snack today.

This trail mix did not disappoint! It was heavenly, but a tad on the sweet side. I think a ¼ cup portion was just enough and anymore would have been way to much sugar. I can see why Erin loves her trail mix so much, this can become addicting. I know this bag is going to last me a while so I will make sure and enjoy every little morsel. J

My Uncle sent me an e-mail today (Hi Bill!) on how he’s piecing together a family recipe cookbook for all of the ‘kids’ (I’m considered a kid). He was requesting family recipes that we all have that have sort of become our trademarks. For instance: My Grandma’s Red Velvet Cake, my Aunt Carol’s Congo Bars, my Mom’s Cheese Ball, and so on and so on. This got me really excited and I can not wait to see the finished product. I was thinking about e-mailing him something of mine, but I don’t really have any trademark recipe yet and they’re all scared everything I make involves Tofu ( my Dad puts ideas in their heads, don’t even get me started on how he thought I was a vegan and told all of my family that). But anyways are their trademark family recipes in your family that you can always expect from certain family members? Do you have any family famous recipes of your own? I would love to hear about them! J

1 caitlin October 22, 2008 at 2:06 pm

before my grandma died, my aunts had her write down her crescent roll recipe… they are so delicious. i should ask them how to make it; they are def not healthy but so good! we always have them at thanksgiving and xmas.

my mom makes a really good cornbread as well! i had her show me the recipe the last time i was in tenn, but she just basically eyeballs portions and goes by the consitency of the batter.

i make brownies covered in melted hershey’s hugs that is semi-famous with my college friends. my BFF calls it “devil brownies.” LOL!

2 Megan October 22, 2008 at 2:19 pm

My mom has a spaghetti sauce recipe that has been passed down through the family. That is an awesome idea to combine all the recipes in one book.

I HAVE to try that pumpkin spice trail mix. I love that it has graham squares!

3 magpie707 October 22, 2008 at 2:23 pm

What a good question! I have a few – my grammie gave me her amazing recipe for apple pie. I’m not sure I would make it without a few modifications though because it’s essentially sugar and butter… but it is heavenly. And my grandma used to make pumpkin roll every Christmas – it’s a pumpkin bread sheet that you roll up with a cream cheese mix on the inside. Yum. My parents always make sweet potato pie for thanksgiving, I should probably get the recipe.

4 Allison October 22, 2008 at 2:36 pm

That jalapeno cheese looks delicious! Do you buy it by the block?

5 mng355 October 22, 2008 at 3:06 pm

your lunch looks really creative!

6 VeggieGirl October 22, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Mmm, stuffed acorn squash and Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix!! Fabulous!!

Two major family trademark recipes (that I have been able to successfully veganize/”gluten-free-ize”!!):

– Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

– Stuffed Peppers, Stuffed Zucchini, Stuffed Tomatoes, Stuffed Cabbages (see a pattern here?? Haha 😉 )

7 lauren October 22, 2008 at 4:10 pm

I love this question and the family cookbook idea is SO COOL. I would love to do that for my family! My grandfather makes potato pancakes that are amazing, my grandma makes all the jams, and my mom makes these cheesey scalloped potatoes that are to die for.

8 Amanda October 22, 2008 at 4:49 pm

My grandma makes the BEST meatballs and all kinds of soups – such yummy comfort foods!

9 Bobbi October 22, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I love that trail mix I bet I could make it:) I love my grandmas homemade tortillas! She also makes some killer tomales, spelling?

10 Erica October 22, 2008 at 6:26 pm

First off, lunch looks incredible. Come cook me some lunch 🙂 The trail mix looks great too but I have trouble controlling myself around that type of thing. As for family recipes- my mom makes the most amazing pumpkin pie and we also have a family pasta sauce!

11 anna October 22, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I have never tried squash before and i think i’m afraid of the flavor.

QOTD:my mom makes the most delicious shrimp lasagna ever! also my aunt’s orange-carrot cake, my grandpa’s caramelized pumpkin or my grandma’s shrimp salad and sweet corn tamales omg i’m hungry 🙂

12 Amy October 22, 2008 at 9:23 pm

ooh im so glad you got the pumpkin spice trail mix! isn’t it insanely good? i do agree, it is a little sweet, so 1/4 cup is the perfect portion.

except when i was a bit to drunk this weekend… then who knows what kind of measurement was poured… 😉

13 Kelly October 26, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the shout-outs and encouragement! I never could have ran that 6 miles without Meghann pushing me along. I felt great when we finished. I am proud to relinquish me title as the ‘runner’ of the family. Meghann has definitely earned it. I do love to run and I need a goal to push me to get out there even more. I’ll think about the 10K but I’m not promising anything. 🙂