I am the Lentil Champion

by Meghann on October 21, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised to go online last night and discover I was the winner of the BSI contest this week!! My Crunchy Lentil Cheese Bites apparently wooed Shannon enough to send me an amazing batch of her Lentil Cookies!! I am ecstatic to be able to try these, but wish I could share them with the whole class to enjoy! Everyone did a great job with their Lentil recipes this week and I am honored to have been chosen the winner. J

Gina has selected Cranberries for this week’s BSI and I am looking forward to seeing all of the creativity my fellow bloggers will put in to this ingredient. Unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend and will not be able to compete, but will be sure to be back in the game for the next week.

After such a high of winning the contest I had a great run this morning. The weather has been getting a little cooler this past week, allowing for nice comfortable runs that don’t have me drowning in sweat at the end.

Stats:

Distance: 6.2 miles

Time: 1 hr 4 mins 13 secs

Homemade Granola was the only thing on my mind for breakfast this morning. On my run I was planning different concoctions in my head trying to decide what the granola would work best with. I decided to combine my love for ricotta with my previous dessert for breakfast and invented Apple Cheesecake Breakfast.

I chopped up a small apple and heated it up in the microwave for a minute with cinnamon on top. While that heated I combined ¼ cup of ricotta cheese with a drizzle of honey and 1/3 cup of my homemade granola. When the apple was mushy I combined it all together for a yummy sweet and cheesy treat.

This was good, but would have been better cold. I think if I do this again I will heat the apple up the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight so that its still mushy, but nice and cool. It was still great though and I would happily eat more if someone set some in front of me right now!

Thankfully this morning I don’t have a meeting until 11:00 and it’s a one on one meeting so no chances of falling asleep in there! J I ended up telling my supervisor about my little napping problem I had in the early meeting and she just laughed and told me she was on the verge of zoning out herself. She was sitting right next to me and truly did no notice my head bobbing. Boy, so I love my boss! J On the other hand the sales people all keep offering me Red Bulls…lol

1 VeggieGirl October 21, 2008 at 8:53 am

HOORAY FOR WINNING BSI!!!!!!! Loved your recipe 🙂

Gorgeous breakfast – definitely have it cold next time!! Sounds even MORE delish!!

Haha yes, don’t fall asleep in the meeting again!! 😉

2 Amy October 21, 2008 at 9:07 am

ooh so delicious looking! i seriously have to try ricotta. i almost bought it yesterday, but got scared! help haha !

3 tryingtoheal October 21, 2008 at 9:12 am

yay for winning BSI!!!!! you’re such a creative young woman!!!

love the breakfast idea!

and i forgot to tell you, i totally did the same thing at a training I took a few weeks back at work, except when i bobbed my head i fell so far forward i hit my head on the top of my water bottle! :O I had a bruise for a few days…clear evidence of my lack of sleep! LOL!

have a great day!

4 lauren October 21, 2008 at 10:06 am

congrats on your win! and nice breakfast – I love anything with cheesecake in the title. 😉

5 eatingbender October 21, 2008 at 10:15 am

Congratulations on winning the BSI! I loved your creative recipe — can’t wait to find out how those lentil cookies taste!!

Mm, I like your breakfast idea, too!! I’ve only ever had ricotta with pasta dishes, so I need to branch out and use it in other ways. I’m bookmarking this one 🙂

Have a great day!

6 Maria October 21, 2008 at 10:19 am

Congrats on winning. The cookies look great!

7 B_Hlthy October 21, 2008 at 10:22 am

your breakfast looks amazing!

Hey i put this up on caitlins but forgot she never made lentils. So I made them for the first time yesterday- organic red lentils – and they turned out like a green mush… tasted good- but I was confused, is that how they are supposed to come out?

I followed the directions on the bag- 1 cup lentils and 2 cups water- bring to a boil, simmer for 40 minutes…
???

8 Bridget October 21, 2008 at 10:27 am

CONGRATS!! on Winning the BSI contest! Those crunchy lentil Cheese bites really did look awesome! Hmmm cranberries…interesting!

9 VeggieGirl October 21, 2008 at 11:27 am

YOUR COMMENT ON MY BLOG MADE ME EXCITED!!! Do report back on how the bread turns out 🙂

10 Bobbi October 21, 2008 at 11:42 am

Congrats girl! Love the bfast! I am going to have to try that ricotta in stuff, looks tastey:)

11 maggie October 21, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Congrats on the lentils! I’m excited for cranberries too 🙂

12 HangryPants October 21, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Congratulations! I can’t wait to try them.

13 Biz October 21, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Good job on your win this week!

I have LOTS of cranberry ideas.

Stay awake today!

14 ttfn300 October 21, 2008 at 2:22 pm

they’re on their way, hope they make it alright 🙂

B_Healthy: i’m not sure why, but the pink ones do lose their integrity much quicker, i think that cooking time might be a little long, too… green and black hold their shape better i’ve heard. i think that might be the thing that turns people off–very easy to overcook!

15 wholefoodswholeme October 21, 2008 at 5:53 pm

the bfast looks lush 😀 and even though i’ve said it already, i’ll say it again – i LOVED your recipe!!!!!!