The Nut Fairy arrived today!

by Meghann on October 17, 2008

Thank you Sam from OhNuts.com for sending me some amazing Brazil Nuts, Pecans and Almonds to sample. I already plan on breaking in to the Brazil Nuts for my afternoon snack! I can not wait to use these in some recipes I am scheming in my head. Does anyone else have any great suggestions on how I can incorporate these great raw nuts into my meals?

Before the nut fairy arrived I had a yummy hodge podge snack bag.

I had a handful of 365 Brand Peanut Butter Puffs, Annie’s Bunnies and 2 Meringues to hold me over until lunch. Sometimes I love just going through my cabinet and throwing random things into my bag for a nice sweet snack.

Lunch today was some leftover frozen Snobby Joes from over a month ago. I wonder how long left overs can be left in the freezer before they are officially considered bad?

These were a little dry after the overnight defrost so I added a little ketchup and honey mustard in the microwaving process. All and all it wasn’t too bad but I’m not sure these are worth saving in the freezer in the future.

On the side I also had a nice carrot for some crunch and a pear for something sweet.

My walk around the building was so refreshing yesterday that I think I might sneak out for a walk break again today. The weather is perfect in the mid 80s with a nice bright sun. This is about as perfect of fall weather as you can get in Florida! We’re actually expecting a cold front this weekend, it might dip down to the 70s on Sunday. Oh No! It’s time to break out the winter coat. J I’m just kidding, though I promise I will see one or two people walking around in their winter finest as soon as the temp drops just a little. At least it will make for good running weather!!

1 VeggieGirl October 17, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Hooray for nuts!!! You should try baking with them, and just eating them as a snack; or even in pesto sauces…. yum!! 🙂

I had Snobby Joes for lunch today too!! 😀

LEFTOVERS IN THE FREEZER = GOOD FOR 1 YEAR.

Hooray for a great walk!!!

2 lauren October 17, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Low 70s is FALL?! – oh man – I need to move to florida. We are looking at lows in the 40s – highs in the low 60s up here! I am jealous! loving the nuts! ha.

3 Amy October 17, 2008 at 2:52 pm

ooh, nice big bag o’ nuts haha! hm, i love adding crumbled nuts (i put them into a ziplock and crush them up with a hammer-like utensil) to my salads. pecans are great with sweet potatoes and cinnamon, and they pair really well with pears and cranberries in a salad. i made that last night actually!

enjoy your gorgeous weather! here in PA, its cold and the sun is just coming out now, at 3:00!

4 Kath October 17, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Nut suggestion: homemade granola!!

5 mi October 17, 2008 at 3:57 pm

i like kath’s suggestion! i’ve made her coconut almond recipe before and loved it. i love snobby joes – when i froze my batch they seemed fine, but then again i kind of overcooked the lentils so it was more mush than anything else… tasty mush though 😉

6 jenngirl October 17, 2008 at 4:04 pm

throwing nuts on top of yogurt is one of the best texture combo/snacks ever! also sprinkled on top of steamy oats is a fave of mine. Enjoy! 🙂

7 biz319 October 17, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I just had pecans on my spinach salad today – so good!

I agree with Kath – granola sounds great!

8 Bridget October 17, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I like the suggestions I’m seeing… salads, granola, pesto! If your not going to use them fast I’d keep them in the freezer. They make a great base for pastry shells…like crusts. Or a crust on anything…fish maybe?

So how does one get the nut fairy to come to my house?!

9 Melissa S. October 17, 2008 at 5:37 pm

man, those looks super duper good! i wish the nut fairy would visit me with some walnuts! hehe! i’m jealous! I was going to suggest making your own nut butter…but i guess you have to have special tools for that…think i grinder might work? probably not…boooo…oh well, i agree w/ kath, granola or you can make some tasty cookies and brownies and throw them in!

10 Lindsay October 17, 2008 at 6:06 pm

yay for the oh nuts package! i love mixing them into my oats – i know that’s boring but i totally love the crunchy texture 🙂

11 tryingtoheal October 17, 2008 at 7:07 pm

sorry your lentils dried up. i noticed that with mine too from a dish that i froze a while ago. oh well, means we get to make something different to freeze!

and i’m jealous! i want the nut fairy to visit me! that would be exciting! and i would def use them to make granola…and too bad we don’t have one of those nut butter grinding machines…how rad would it be to make your own nut butter!!!

12 Amanda October 17, 2008 at 9:09 pm

your weather sounds gorgeous!! i think today was the last warm-ish day in philadelphia, and it’s going to get colder this weekend 🙁 i get a break for lunch so i usually eat at my desk and then take a 30 minute walk outside afterwards .. it is SO nice to digest, get some fresh air, and run a few errands! enjoy your weekend!!

13 Erica October 17, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Brazil nuts are the best! That is so fun that they sent those to you! Hope you went on a walk and I hope it was lovely!! What are you doing this weekend?

14 HangryPants October 18, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Oh the almonds from Oh! Nuts are absolutely fantastic!

15 Chris Morin December 17, 2008 at 6:51 pm

I put pecans in my chicken salad with halved grapes, and make it with plain yogurt instead of mayo, a little curry powder, cucumbers & celery.. Very tasty and healthy!

I also toast them with cinnamon in the toaster over for a small batch.