more ยป" />

Ricotta Crazy

by Meghann on October 16, 2008

Ever since my Cannoli Cereal, I have been going a little crazy with my ricotta cheese lately. I’ve added it to my Butternut Squash Soup, incorporated it in to a waffle topper, and tonight I have managed to sneak it into both my dinner and dessert. It is so versatile and I can’t wait to try all of the great recipes you guys have suggested! Ricotta Cheese: It’s not just for lasagna anymore! ๐Ÿ™‚

I was inspired by Caitlin’s Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burger for dinner tonight. Only I made some slight changes.

CIMG2358

I used left over mashed sweet potato, 1/2 cup of black beans, 1 tablespoon of whole wheat flour, chopped onion, garlic, and a spoonful of ricotta cheese combined to form two small patties. I pan grilled the patties on the stove top and topped them with some yummy ketchup. The ricotta addition gave it a slight cheesieness that was perfect with the black beans and sweet potato.

On the side I heated up some frozen corn and green beans with some chopped onion, mushrooms, garlic salt & pepper.

CIMG2357

I really love the flavor combination from these frozen veggies. I really think the extra onion and mushrooms takes it over the top.

CIMG2356

I also had a random tomato slice that looked lonely in the fridge so I threw it on the plate so it would have friends.

I had lots of fun with my dessert tonight. I shall call them Cannoli Grahams.

CIMG2365

I mixed up some ricotta cheese, honey and chocolate chips. I broke up 1 1/2 graham crackers which I then layer with the ricotta mix and then some sliced strawberries.

CIMG2367

I am a genius! This was the perfect little dessert! The little pieces made for perfect little bites, which meant I got to enjoy my dessert for a much longer period of time. I will have to remember this next time I have to bring dessert some where. They’re almost like little dessert appetizers that can be brought around on a tray or something.

So now it’s official, I am obsessed with ricotta cheese! I still have a half of a container left and am excited to see what else I can come up with! ๐Ÿ™‚

Now going back in time, I had a Peanut Butter Kashi Bar for my mid afternoon snack at work.

CIMG2355

Not as exciting as ricotta cheese, but it worked. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tomorrow is Friday!!! I’m so excited I have a GREAT weekend planned and I can’t wait to hang out with all of my friends and family through out the weekend. It’s going to be busy, but its going to be fun!! Does anyone else have an exciting weekend ahead?

1 Laura October 16, 2008 at 8:34 pm

All of your eats look great! ๐Ÿ™‚ What a cute idea for dessert!

I have a lot of tedious things to take care of Saturday, but on Sunday I have plans to go to the Maryland Renaissance Festival with my friend Julie.

2 maggie October 16, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Oo ricotta cheese is so versatile – there are a bunch of south beach diet desserts that use it. At the bottom of this page is a good one – http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/recipe.html

And this one is good too (I like it better than the other one actually) – http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mocha-ricotta-creme/detail.aspx

3 Bobbi October 16, 2008 at 9:08 pm

when do I not have an exciting weekend! lol…going to a Bunco night with the ladies Friday night, Saturday AKB and softball of course, and the Sunday is my TRI:) I never knew you could do so much with Recotta, your a genuise!

4 Erica October 16, 2008 at 9:09 pm

What a creative and awesome looking dinner! I must say, I haven’t really tried ricotta in much other than pasta dishes but have always wanted to try it in something sweet. I must branch out! How was biggest loser?

5 gina (fitnessista) October 16, 2008 at 9:12 pm

i loooove ricotta cheese! the little canolli grahams look great!
ricotta is also amazing with some cocoa powder and stevia mixed in– it’s a great little dessert!
this weekend i’m having the girls over, catching up on running and living up the fact that i have NO homework!
have a great night!

6 Megan October 16, 2008 at 9:20 pm

The burgers look delicious and I love the graham treats!

7 VeggieGirl October 16, 2008 at 9:32 pm

FABULOUS dinner-inspiration and dessert – yum!!

Weekend plans = Whole Foods trip, dance practices, personal-training sessions.

8 Hangry Pants October 16, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Ricotta and honey is heavenly.

9 caitlin October 16, 2008 at 9:53 pm

looks like a fun modification!!!

my weekend plans include a pot luck at your place!!

10 Amy October 16, 2008 at 10:01 pm

great idea for dessert! you’ve really got me intrigued by ricotta, i must admit. next time i go grocery shopping, i’m definitely picking some up.

this weekend is Penn State’s homecoming, so i’m sure there will be stuff for me to do up here!

have a good friday ๐Ÿ˜€

11 jenngirl October 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm

That dinner looks great! I’ve never tried ricotta cheese, but you sure are tempting me to. Is it very similar to cottage cheese?

I’ve got a rugby game on the agenda this Saturday, which means some crazy times ahead I’m sure.

12 caitlin October 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm

yea! that sounds good. can you email me directions? thanks!!

13 Jordan October 16, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Hahhahaha. “I am a genius” You’re cute.

Too bad you live so far away – we’d be good friends =P

14 eatingbender October 17, 2008 at 12:52 am

That burger looks great! So many yummy flavors.

I might be going to Fright Fest at Six Flags this weekend! Hopefully it will be as fun as your event last weekend ๐Ÿ˜‰

15 Nicole October 17, 2008 at 1:56 am

I totally forgot that I wanted to make sweet potato black bean burgers! Thanks for reminding me ๐Ÿ˜€

16 Allison October 17, 2008 at 9:59 am

That burger looks AWESOME!

17 Erin October 17, 2008 at 2:03 pm

You ARE a genius! I gotta buy a tub.