Cannoli Cereal

by Meghann on October 15, 2008

Since I will be going to a work event after work today, I was told I could come in a little later. Which meant I could sleep in until 6:00 (woo hoo!) this morning. It’s amazing how much of a difference starting my run 15 minutes later really makes. The sun actually rose in the middle of my run, rather then at the end, so I got to run at least half of it in the morning light. There’s something about that early morning light that makes runs so calming and peaceful.

I definitely underestimated how much time I could actually sleep in, as I still arrived to work at a decent time. Curse my ability to be out the door at 8:00 no matter what! Oh well, that just means I can leave a little earlier on Friday instead. I have no problems with that at all. J

Morning Stats:

o       Distance: 5.42 Miles

o       Time: 58 mins 24 secs

I also did another wonderful ab routine involving my $1 Ab Ball. I also threw in some full extension crunches, 3 count sit ups with pulses, bicycle crunches (on the ball), 30 second planks, and lastly some back work. Hopefully I will be sore again tomorrow. I really feel my abs starting to change!

Yesterday while I was watching the Racheal Ray Show ( I may or may not DVR it while I’m at work J ) she did a segment on Ricotta Cheese and made Cannoli Cones using sweetened ricotta cheese, fruit and an ice cream cone. I thought that was an adorable idea and used it as inspiration for my breakfast this morning.

Cannoli Cereal

All I did was mix a teaspoon of honey to a ¼ cup of part skim ricotta cheese to sweeten it up. I cut up three strawberries to add to the mixture and then added a ½ cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch for the crunch effect the canolli shell provides and then ½ cup of 365 Brand Peanut Butter Puffs, simply because I like Peanut Butter. J

It really did taste like a Cannoli! I actually think some chocolate chips would have pushed it over the top, but I try to keep chocolate out of my breakfast as much as I can. J This was also a great way to add some dairy to my diet, as I always seem to be lacking it. I’ve never really been experimental with Ricotta Cheese, but I think Racheal Ray has inspired me to try new things. I knew religiously watching her show would come in handy one day!

1 lauren October 15, 2008 at 9:13 am

YUM. Your breakfast sounds great! Last night, we mixed chocolate chips with the part-skim ricotta for a great dessert! I love ricotta.

2 VeggieGirl October 15, 2008 at 9:21 am

Hooray for getting to sleep in!!

Hehe, I too DVR Rachael Ray’s Show, while I’m at classes/dance practices 😉

CANNOLI CEREAL!?!??!?! Oh my, heaven in a bowl. I REEEEALLY want to try that Peanut Butter Puffs cereal, since it’s soy-free AND gluten-free (scores for me).

Happy Wednesday!!

3 Megan October 15, 2008 at 9:48 am

Yeah for transforming abs!

I love cannolis. We have them every Christmas. When I was little, my sister and I ate the filling right out of the bowl.

4 Carolyn October 15, 2008 at 11:00 am

You know when I ventured a try with the South Beach Diet, they had desserts that were “allowed” that were basically flavored ricotta cheese. I loved them. Of course I sweetened with a little splenda but I added stuff like vanilla extract and a little peanut butter and it was pretty close to tasting like cheesecake. I also added coconut extract once too. I looked forward to that dessert every night!!!

5 Amy October 15, 2008 at 11:42 am

Mmm, creative and delicious-looking! I’d love to try experimenting with ricotta cheese 😀 Glad you had a nice run !!

6 Biz October 15, 2008 at 11:45 am

Wow, great run this morning! I LOVE ricotta cheese, and actually have a recipe I am going to try this weekend to make my own!

30 second planks! Those are so hard!

Happy Wednesday!

7 maggie October 15, 2008 at 11:49 am

That’s such an awesome breakfast idea! I would never have thought of that 🙂

Congrats on the abs!

8 jenngirl October 15, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Yay for your Rachel Ray-breakfast creation! I love sneaking dairy into my diet in fun ways, haha!

Happy Hump Day! 🙂

9 rhodeygirltests October 15, 2008 at 12:27 pm

i think i just deleted my first comment. would you mind emailing me (rhodeygirltests@gmail.com) the brand of the pb froyo?

also, cannoli cereal?!?!!? wow. that looks insane!

10 Erin October 15, 2008 at 12:28 pm

That’s so creative Meghann! I love it!

11 Allison October 15, 2008 at 12:51 pm

You seriously come up with the most creative recipes! I love the way you think! 🙂

12 Andrea October 15, 2008 at 1:14 pm

wow! that is sooo beautiful! i used to eat cannolis all the time (bad for my wasteline!) but this healthy alternative is so amazing! thanks for sharing!!!

13 Natalie October 15, 2008 at 2:40 pm

The Cannoli cereal looks awesome! I’m gonna have to try it soon!

14 Jordan October 15, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Well, well. Aren’t we all just getting so creative? =P

15 inmytummy October 15, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Hello. I’m a first time commentator on your blog. For a dessert, try ricotta mixed with a bit of honey or agave nectar and mini-chocolate chips. So yummy.

16 RhodeyGirl May 27, 2010 at 11:10 am

It’s amazing that you have been eating well and exercising so consistently for so much time now.. Crazy & awesome!

{ 1 trackback }