more ยป" />

Peanut Butter is Yummy

by Meghann on October 12, 2008

WARNING: ONLY ATTEMPT TO MAKE THE NEXT TREAT IF YOU PLAN TO HAVE OTHER CONSUME IT WITH YOU..

… or you will eat it al by your self! :)

A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed a Peanut Butter Rice Krispie treat from Whole Foods and have been dying to come up with my own recipe to make this amazing treat. So today I experimented and came up with something wonderful. I have to warn you; these are addicting and I kept finding myself heading to the fridge to pick at the treats!

Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats

CIMG2255

• 3 cups Puffed Brown Rice
  • 1/2 cup of Natural Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Brown Rice Syrup
  • Handful of Chocolate Chips
  1. Bring the dark brown sugar and syrup to a boil in a small sauce pan
  2. Add the peanut butter to the sauce pan and cook until all is blended.
  3. Remove from heat and add the puffed rice until all is coated
  4. Distribute mixture in to a 8×8 baking pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top
  5. Refrigerate until firm

I have definitely finished off a good 1/3 of this.  It’s too addicting I can’t trust myself with it in the house, so I am going to bring the rest to work tomorrow and spread the wealth.

Before my peanut butter adventures I had a great day of laying by the pool and getting some cardio at the mall. I am a firm believer that going to the mall is the best cardio. :) At least that’s always my excuse for going. Unfortunately I couldn’t afford to buy anything so I just had fun trying stuff on. Every time I felt the urge to purchase something I would just remind myself that Abbie needs shots and that would bring me back to my senses.

After some lounging by the pool, I worked up a little appetite and decided to break in to a falafel mix I got at Publix yesterday. The instructions were super easy and I only had to broil them in the oven for 2 minutes on each side. I also made a yogurt sauce of non fat plain yogurt, oregano, garlic salt, & pepper.

CIMG2236

In the whole wheat pita I stuffed spinach, tomatoes, falafels & the yogurt sauce. It was very yummy.

CIMG2237

With the falafel pita I also had some grapes and carrots on the side.

CIMG2238

And last, but not least, I enjoyed a Sam Adams Octoberfest beer.

CIMG2235

I’ve had this single beer in my fridge forever but am just never in the mood to have a beer by myself with dinner. While I was laying by the pool I was salivating thinking about this beer and knew it would be a perfect component to my lunch.

Before I hit the mall I snacked on a serving of Annie’s Bunnies and 4 Kashi Vegtable Crackers.

CIMG2242

I had a HUGE headache after I returned from the mall and came so close to just having toast for dinner. I had been looking forward to preparing my preplanned dinner and knew I would be sad if I didn’t make it, so I told myself to just start cooking and if I didn’t want it by the time it was done, that I would just eat it tomorrow. I am so glad I made myself cook, by the time I was done, my headache was gone and I was ready to eat.

For dinner I had Golden Nugget Acorn Squash Pasta

CIMG2244

• 1 Golden Nugget Acorn Squash
  • 1 cup cooked pasta
  • 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock
  • 1/2 small onion
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • 1/2 Fresh Spinach
  • Small Grilled Chicken Breast
  • S&P
  • Garlic
  • Nutmeg
  1. Poke the squash with a fork and microwave on high for 8 minutes, cut in half and scoop out the inners to save for later
  2. Add the onion, broccoli and garlic to a hot pan and cook until tender
  3. Add the squash, ricotta cheese, and vegetable stock to the veggies and cook on low for about 5 minutes while stirring until all is blended
  4. Once the sauce resembles a sauce add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the spinach is wilted and everything is warm

CIMG2248

This was a great pasta dish that I loosely based on Megan’s Skillet Pumpkin Pasta. I was looking for a fun way to use up the random Golden Nugget Acorn Squash I bought (it was pretty and only $1) so this recipe worked perfectly. I would happily make it again and I believe any sort of squash will do just fine :)

Sadly, Sunday is coming to a close. This has been a great relaxing weekend, which has been great because next weekend I am once again packed to the rim with plans. I hope everyone else had a great weekend as well!

1 Nicole October 12, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Yum! I was looking for something peanut butter-y to make for my boyfriend’s birthday tomorrow, these are perfect!

2 magpie October 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm

So many great recipes in this post! I love the warning :D and I definitely have to try the squash recipe soon.

Glad you had such a good weekend, and have a great night!

3 Amy October 12, 2008 at 9:33 pm

there’s something about homemade ricecrispy treats that create an addiction. when my sister makes them, its just too easy to grab a chunk every 5 minutes! and then the pan is empty. well, at least thats what happens at my house. these look so delicious though!

i did some cardio at the mall too today—sadly, i didn’t buy anything either.

have a nice evening :)

4 Megan October 12, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Glad you had a relaxing weekend! Your dinner looks amazing! I wouldn’t be able to be trusted around those treats!

5 Hangry Pants October 12, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Yummy treats and the acorn squash dish looks fantastic, too.

Congrats on keeping up with those serious runners from the ORC by the way. You’re a real runner. :)

6 Erin October 12, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Yeah I won’t be making those. I cannot be trusted. But they look amazing! As does your dinner. AND your falafel.

7 Melissa S. October 12, 2008 at 9:53 pm

What a great post of recipes!!! I love them all and glad you had a good Sunday relaxing!

8 gina (fitnessista) October 12, 2008 at 9:54 pm

i totally agree that the mall is the best cardio :D
BAHHH i didn’t buy the puffed brown rice at whole foods today because i didn’t want to eat the whole box plain again.. id’ much rather eat it coated with PEANUT BUTTER and decorated with chocolate chips! wahhh!
i’m going to buy some of that falafel mix at publix tomorrow.. it looks way too good!
hope you had a great weekend!

9 VeggieGirl October 12, 2008 at 9:59 pm

PB Rice Krispie treats (complete with warning, haha ;-) ) + falafel + acorn squash pasta = HOLY FREAKING YUM!!!!!!

10 Jordan October 12, 2008 at 9:59 pm

That last dish looks uh-amazing… and damn all you hookers who have the fall beer. I can’t find any here yet!

11 Amanda October 12, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Sounds like you had a great weekend! I did my FIRST 10 miler today – whew! That running club sounds like a really fun, motivational way to get in your run and meet new people .. I will have to look into that! Have a great week :)

12 Bobbi October 12, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Truley addicting, those rice crispys look to die for! I love pb! Sounds like you had a beautiful relaxing weekend, what there made for! I need to try that Octoberfest beer!

13 jenngirl October 12, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Omgoshh, I’m not even going to attempt that recipe, it looks tooooo addicting, haha! Yay for relaxing Sundays, glad you enjoyed yourself :)

14 eatingbender October 13, 2008 at 12:02 am

Oh goodness, I have all of those ingredients for the rice crispy treats…I may be in trouble! ;)

Both the falafel and the pasta look amazing!!

I’m glad you had a relaxing weekend — I hope this week will be just as enjoyable!

15 caitlin October 13, 2008 at 7:51 am

hahaha i would def have to give away those rice crispy treats as well! everything you made yesterday looks divine :D

16 Lauren October 13, 2008 at 3:14 pm

wow – those brown rice krispie treats look awesome!!

17 lhinkle January 10, 2009 at 1:49 pm

these look so yummy! nope nope not even going there :-)

18 domesticdork June 6, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Ooh! I want to try the PB rice krispie treats! I need a good vegetarian version!

19 femininedarcy July 23, 2009 at 3:46 am

I’ve made PB rice crispy treats before, but I use honey instead of the other stuff. It was delicious!