I love free stuff

by Meghann on October 10, 2008

I am also obsessed with free samples! You should see me at Whole Foods, I tend to go a bit crazy with all of their free samples. They are always the best at having plenty of food around to nibble on. Let’s face it, I am a foodie who wants to try anything and everything, so when someone offers me a tiny sample it’s always hard to pass up. I know in the back of my head a bunch of tiny samples add up to a bunch of unnecessary calories, but in the front of my head I am thinking yummy free food. J

Well now that I have gone completely off track with my free sample obsession, I have to say the nice people at Kardea must have secretly known about my tiny obsession because they were kind enough to send me some samples of their Karnea Nutrition Bars.

Before I saw Heather & Mark at Hangry Pants test their samples of the bar on their blog, I had never heard of Karnea before. They essentially gave the bars good reviews, so I was more then happy to sample and review them myself.

The bars come in 4 flavors:

• Banana Nut
  • Cranberry Almond
  • Lemon Ginger
  • Chai Spice

Today I decided to try the Chai Spice flavor.

I was a little scared of the Chai Spice bar simply because I’m not the biggest fan of Chai flavored things, but it just happened to be the one I through in my purse this morning.

Once out of the package it strangely resembled a Larabar (only the ingredient list is about 4x longer!). I took my first bite crossing my fingers it would be ok and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The flavor was not to strong and the ‘spice’ was toned down. I also liked the texture, the bar is partly made up of brown rice krispies that give it a nice crunch when you are expecting nothing but chewy. Overall I liked it.

One flavor down, three more to try. (well actually 2, I can’t eat the banana one so I’m going to have my sister do a guest review)

For lunch today I just sort of pieced together what I had in my fridge (which isn’t much at the moment).

I ended up with a nice Veggi Wrap

• Flat Out Wrap
  • Spinach
  • Okra
  • Broccoli
  • Shredded Summer Squash
  • Tomato
  • Gorgonzola Cheese
  • Mango Poppyseed Dressing

I microwaved the veggies first to get them nice and warm, I then rolled it up in the wrap and grilled it panini style on the George Forman. All of the flavors actually mixed well and microwaving the veggies first made sure the wrap was nice and warm all the way through.

On the side I had a small serving of almonds and a Pumpkin Bar covered in Peanut Butter.

That was a GREAT lunch! I’m still nto sure what the plans are for dinner. I may be going out to eat (grrr…) or I might make something real quick before Halloween Horror Nights. I guess it all depends on what time I have to be there. Either way its going to be a llooonngg night so I will report back tomorrow on my little adventure. Have a Great Friday everyone!

1 caitlin October 10, 2008 at 1:59 pm

i got my free kashi cookie in the mail and i was pissed because it has walnuts in it… so i cant eat it. sucks for me. :(

2 maggie October 10, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I love fee stuff too! I got my Kashi cookie in the mail but it looked smaller than I imagined. Haven’t tried it yet. I love going to Costco on Saturdays because of all the samples and also TJ’s for the free coffee :D

You lunch looks great!

3 jenngirl October 10, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Have fun whatever you do tonight! :) That lunch does look great!

4 VeggieGirl October 10, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Can’t go wrong with scrumptious free samples!! :-)

Your lunch is soooo tantalizing – love all the components, for sure!!

Have fun tonight!!

5 HangryPants October 10, 2008 at 3:58 pm

I love free things too. :)

I haven’t tried that flavor yet, but am looking forward to it. I don’t like larabars so I enjoyed the extra crunch from this.

6 runningwithfood October 10, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Mmm … your wrap looks really tasty! I love to clean out the fridge and see what goodies I can come up with in order to put a meal together! Have a fun night!!!

7 Bobbi October 10, 2008 at 4:43 pm

yummy lunch. I like to call my Fridays lunches, FRIDAY LEFT OVERS! I just throw whatevers left in the fridge in my bag and I am out! Never heard of the bars going to have to check them out. Have fun at your fun night!

8 wholefoodswholeme October 10, 2008 at 4:48 pm

yay for free samples! i love them too, even though not many come my way…. maybe i should let UK health food brans know of my humble blog??!!! haha. your lunch looks delicious – love my foreman grill too :D have a great friday evening!

9 Megan October 10, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I got the same samples yesterday and will be trying them soon. They have acacia fiber in them which is supposed to be good for digestion. I actually add that fiber to my oatmeal every morning. Glad to hear you liked it.

10 Erin October 10, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Ooh samples!
Your lunch looks SO healthy. You can guess what my fave part is! (hint: PB)

11 Kristie October 11, 2008 at 12:44 am

Free stuff is awesome. AWESOME. Especially free food. I love sampling food. Luckily my grocery stores rarely have samples. haha.

That wrap looks amazing. I’m impressed you managed to come up with something so tasty when you say you didn’t have much selection. And microwaving the veggies beforehand is a great idea that I never thought to do. You really do learn something new everyday.

12 Juliet October 11, 2008 at 1:01 am

I’m a sucker for free food too! Those bars look interesting. I’m definitely going to check them out. Your wrap looks really good too! I’ve never thought of putting a wrap in the george foreman grill (just sandwiches).