A Previously Frozen Lunch

by Meghann on October 8, 2008

Today my great lunch was courtesy of my freezer.

I am running low on fresh groceries in my fridge for some reason (I knew my $26 total at Publix on Sunday was too good to be true!) so I opened the freezer and found oodles of goodies. I always forget how much left overs I have stored in my freezer. I really need to do some sort of inventory of my freezer so I know exactly what I have. There is a lot of frozen meat in there that can be turned into more yummy creations. Does anyone else have an overflowing freezer of miscellaneous food they forget about it?

While sorting through my freezer I did find a couple of things I found suitable for today’s lunch.

First I heated up some leftover Refried Black Bean Soup, which I topped it with a dollop of Non-Fat Plain Yogurt.

I’m not really sure what the proper technique for heating up frozen soup is, but this thing was a rock when I put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. I was afraid it would come out watery or something, but it actually reheated nicely and I’m glad I was able to enjoy it one more time.

Secondly, I decided to try this little discovery I got the other week at Publix.

Kashi has a new line of frozen Pita Sandwiches and since I love all things Kashi I decided to give it a try. It also doesn’t help that I bought it at 50% off.

The pita sandwich has a total of 280 calories and is about the size of the palm of my hand. It was good and all, but so TINY! Originally these things run about $3.15 per pita (there’s only one per box) and for the size they give you, it’s not worth full price. I’m glad I got it at 50% off. For the future I would stick to making full size fresh pitas at home over this frozen alternative.

I had an awesome snack today of fresh cut pineapple. Unfortunately I was so excited to eat it midmorning that I totally forgot to take a picture of it until it was all gone. And I mean it was gone, I even drank up the little amount of pineapple juice in the container.

Now I am happily stuffed and ready to get back to work. Happy Hump Day everyone!

1 Jordan October 8, 2008 at 1:21 pm

I saw those in the sale paper… I was wondering about them. Guess I’ll save my money =]

2 Amanda October 8, 2008 at 1:28 pm

HI!
I am new to your blog and just LOVE it!!

I recently graduated college in May and moved out on my own/started a job about a month ago. I have been working on making creative/healthy meals for myself, not going out to lunch often, saving money, etc.

I also just did a 10K a few weeks ago and am training for a 1/2 marathon in November in Philly (where I live). I get up and run at 530 before work, too!! Unfortunately, it’s getting chilly up here in PA .. I felt like I should have been wearing gloves this morning, ughhh.

Anywhooo I just wanted to say HEY because it seems like we have a lot in common. Keep up the great posts/recipes and I’ll keep reading 🙂

Amanda

3 caitlin October 8, 2008 at 1:53 pm

you saw my fridge… all we have inside are ice cubes, a 10 lb bag of frozen chicken, and a freakishly large 5 lb bag of frozen veggies. 😀

4 Biz October 8, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Unfortunately, my deep freeze is so big, you can put bodies in there! My feet actually lift off the floor when I try to reach in to get something.

But I read about a woman who had a big deep freeze, and she used plastic crates to separate things to fine easier, i.e., frozen meat in one, frozen soups in another.

I guess I need to make a trip to the Container Store!

The soup does look good though!

5 VeggieGirl October 8, 2008 at 3:06 pm

“Does anyone else have an overflowing freezer of miscellaneous food they forget about it?”

Um, yes, haha – but I actually just cleaned it out, and now everything in there is stuff that I WILL eat!! 😀

6 Christie October 8, 2008 at 5:56 pm

I am not a fan of frozen meals because I feel like they are expensive and little portions … i would have bought it for 50% off too but otherwise prob not.. your right beftter off making your own!

7 Hangry Pants October 8, 2008 at 7:41 pm

So smaller than a hot pocket?

Yes, I have so much random bits leftover in my freezer!

8 graduatemeghann October 8, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Amanda – it sounds like we do have a lot in common! It’s always good to know that I’m not the only one waking up at 5:30 to run! Luckily weather hasn’t been an issue yet for my runs, but it sounds like its getting pretty cold up there! Thanks for reading the blog!

Heather – Yes, MUCH small then a Hot Pocket. Can you believe it?

9 Bobbi October 9, 2008 at 12:58 am

that pita looks so yummy and I am not a big fan of frozen lunches might have to give this one a try! I too kinda miss the different seasons but I can’t complain:)