My Favorite Combination

by Meghann on October 1, 2008

One of the reasons I started reading all the healthy food blogs out there is because of the great ideas everyone has on how to interestingly and tastily pair food up together. One of my favorite blog discoveries over the past year has been the combination of Sweet Potato and Black Beans. I don’t know how I lived without the melding of these flavors in the past! For anyone who hasn’t tried the combination yet I HIGHLY recommend you hop on this bandwagon fast because it’s definitely worth the ride.

What’s your favorite thing you have discovered in your blog readings?

When I was making my dinner last night and knew I would have some left over black beans I instantly knew I wanted to pair it with sweet potato.

For a quick and easy lunch I simply micowaved the small sweet potato for five minutes and topped it with the left over black beans and banana peppers.

On the side I had some left over squash with hummus and the last 10 or so of my organic wheat crackers.

I actually had not had this combination in a while and will not be making that mistake again. J

When my stomach started to talk to me around 10 this morning I snacked on this peach.

This peach was ok, it was sort of half ripe/ half not quite ripe. It could have used another day or so on the counter.

After lunch I snuck a small pumpkin oatmeal cookie into my mouth.

You’re probably getting tired of looking at these so let me assure you there are only 4 left. Which means I will have ate the entire batch of cookies on my own. :-/ Good thing I halved the recipe, I don’t know what I would do if I still had a couple dozen cookies left. I would be a very happy (couple of pounds heavier) girl.

After not running yesterday and again this morning I am itching to run. Luckily Caitlin has agreed to meet me downtown for a gorgeous run around Lake Eola. This will be the first time I will be running in the afternoon instead of the morning time since April (wow! I guess thatt’s a lot of getting up at 5:30am) I’m interested to see how my body reacts to the change in time.

Wish me luck!

1 maggie October 1, 2008 at 1:39 pm

I think my favorite part about reading food blogs is knowing that there are other people out there who absolutely LOVE eating good, nutritious food – and don’t care that other people think they live “on a diet”. I love my diet!

2 caitlin (seebriderun) October 1, 2008 at 2:27 pm

my favorite part of food blogging is freaking out waiters and managers when i take pictures at resturants. oh and meeting people like you! (in real life).

3 Biz October 1, 2008 at 2:55 pm

I agree with Maggie – it also proves to my husband that I am not crazy!

Sweet potatoes are like salmon to me, I always try them, but have yet to like them. Never tried it as a “baked” potato though!

Thanks for giving me a shout out later on my tea giveaway!

Here’s hoping the afternoon flies by!

4 Megan October 1, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Hope the run goes well. I really need to try the black beans with the sweet potato. I have found too many great ideas from other bloggers to list here!

5 Nicole October 1, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Sweet potatoes and black beans are my favorite I learned from the bloggers too! I had never even tried a sweet potato before I started reading blogs. Crazy. Now I eat one everyday!

6 VeggieGirl October 1, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I love sharing my love of baking/cooking/food photography with others in the blogging world.

Sweet potatoes & black beans = heavenly!!

Have fun with Caitlin!

7 runjess October 1, 2008 at 4:17 pm

I’ve discovered wheat berries and Greek yogurt.

8 caitlin (seebriderun) October 1, 2008 at 5:11 pm

is it time to run yet?? seriously.

9 Hangry Pants October 1, 2008 at 6:12 pm

My favorite thing I discovered from blogs is Clif zBars. I’d always seen them, but never thought to try one cause I labled them “for kids.” Now I love them.

Have fun with Caitlin. 🙂

10 wholefoodswholeme October 1, 2008 at 6:31 pm

i’ve been recommended that combination before, so i must try it! i think i discovered that fage was, in fact, amazing once i got into blog reading – good thing they seem to be cheaper in the uk! also learnt a ton of other stuff but would take me forever to list 🙂

11 Erin October 1, 2008 at 8:44 pm

I love that you and Caitlin are running BFFs!
My favorite blog thing is Greek yog. And Larabars! 😀
I’ll try that combo soon. It looks so good.