A Stuffed Afternoon

by Meghann on September 29, 2008

Before I forget again, I wanted to let you know this morning I snacked on 2 Lowfat Pumpkin Oatmeal cookies around 10:30. πŸ™‚

CIMG1780

These are some very yummy cookies. I actually had another one when I walked in the door after work. (no pic) The only downfall to baking is that there is a whole plate of these in my kitchen calling me name. Now would be a good time to have roommates to share with. πŸ™‚

——————————

Let me start by saying how I don’t understand how people can go out for lunch every day at work. Not only is it pricey (my lunch today ran me over $7.00!) but I was too full and sleepy the rest of my afternoon at work. I may have ate a tad to much for lunch, the portion seemed small at the time but I think when you combine that with my three refills of unsweet tea (the salsa was spicy!) it equals a bloated belly. I could have easily took a nap on my desk.

I love being able to go home for lunch or even bringing a lunch from home andΒ  controlling what I’m eating and portion size. Today definitely reminded me not to eat anything too heavy in the middle of the day, it’s not worth it and its too much $$.

Now that I have said all of that I must warn you I have made lunch plans with my cousin and his wife on Thursday at Mr. Pita. I know big hypocrite but I told them last week I would go. I have already scanned the menu and it doesn’t look too heavy. Has anyone ever ate at a Mr. Pita before? What’s good to get that won’t make me want to nap at work?

Since my lunch kept me full all afternoon, the dinner I had originally planned kept getting smaller and smaller in my head, until this is what I ended up with…..

CIMG1784

BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joe & Oven Roasted Okra

CIMG1785

The BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joe was quick and easy to make. I simply sauteed some onion, added about 1/4 lb of ground chicken and when that was cooked through I topped with 2 tablespoons of Annies BBQ sauce and 1/2 tablespoon of honey mustard. For the bun I just toasted a whole wheat english muffin. This was a yummy healthier alternative of a sloppy joe. πŸ™‚

CIMG1789

For the side I threw some chopped okra in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. I ate these with my hands, I pretended they were fries πŸ™‚

For dessert I’m going to munch on these gummy bears while watching some Gossip Girl. πŸ™‚

CIMG1790

These were actually meant to be eaten during my race on Saturday, but halfway through the race I realized my stomach was not agreeing with me and these wouldn’t help, so I passed.

Abbie just dropped a toy on my lap, I think she’s trying to give me a hint. I mustn’t ignore her. Good night everyone!

1 VeggieGirl September 29, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Gorgeous eats!!

Have a lovely evening!!

2 Allison September 29, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I totally agree with you on the whole eating out thing! I don’t know how they can afford it, or how you could be healthy! Packing my lunch is the highlight of my morning πŸ™‚

Your dinner looks awesome – those Chicken sloppy joes look DELISH!

3 Mel September 29, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Your BBQ chicken looks really yummy… I think that I need to try that soon.

I hate going out to lunch during work, and the worst is that when I “have” to go, it’s always somewhere unhealthy. Ugh… I don’t have that kind of money to spend everyday either

4 Laura September 29, 2008 at 10:06 pm

I hear you on the lunches. I work in downtown DC so everything is so expensive.

Your dinner looks great! I had okra for the first time this summer when it came in my CSA. It was good! I don’t know why people fry it all the time.

5 Kelsey September 29, 2008 at 10:16 pm

I must agree that I’m not so much a fan of eating out for lunch. Dinner, yes. But portion sizes are just way too big and I hate feeling so stuffed throughoutthe day. :/
I love turkey sloppy joes a lot, I’ve never made them with chicken though. I might have to try it sometime!!!

6 Melissa S. September 29, 2008 at 10:19 pm

I’ve heard so much about you through Caitlin’s blog and finally found the link to your blog!

Hope you don’t mind if I add you to my blogroll! i really enjoy reading your entries!

have a good night!

7 Lori September 30, 2008 at 8:21 am

I know what you mean about the eating lunch out every day. I worked with people who did it all the. It is so expensive. It was always funny to me because they would spend all that money eating out and wonder why I always brought mine, then when I would travel they would have a ‘must be nice attitude.’ I wanted to shout, if you would stop spending all that money eating out you’d have extra money too.! πŸ™‚

8 Bridget W September 30, 2008 at 9:04 am

I haven’t had sloppy joes since in YEARS!! since probably before college when I lived at home…looks so good! I’ve never had okra, maybe I should put that on the list too.

9 runjess September 30, 2008 at 5:43 pm

My cookie trick is to freeze the dough in little balls. Then I can take out just a few to bake them.