Recipe #2

by Meghann on September 24, 2008

Now I know you guys are just dying in anticipation but my next secret ingredient recipe, but you will have to wait just a little bit longer!

First I have to get to my mid afternoon snack…

CIMG1561

Going along with the Apple theme I decided to try the other flavor of Kashi cereal bars I bought over the weekend. I really liked the apple flavor. It was just like a yummy apple pie. I’m am so glad I finally had a chance to try these.

Ok now for dinner…

I love pork chops and applesauce. The combo goes so perfectly that I wanted to think of a new twist on this concept. On Monday I had an apple chicken sausage, which really got the apple and pork idea in my head, but instead of a sausage I decided to go to another all-american food choice for the concept.

I present to you….

CIMG1567

Applesauce Pork Burgers

• 1/2 pound lean ground pork
    • 1 small red apple, chopped
    • 4 oz container unsweetened applesauce
    • 1 1/2 tbsp raw sugar
    • cinnamon
    • parsley
    • green onion

I combined all the ingredients and formed three patties. I grilled one on the george foreman, along with a couple of slices of apple. I placed the burger on a slice of whole wheat toast  with Annie’s Organic Smoky Maple BBQ sauce. I topped the burger with the grilled slices of apple.

Yum!

I highly suggest this burger to anyone who loves applesauce on their pork chops. It’s a tasty twist on a classic combo. I am very happy to submit this recipe for the secret ingredient this week. Thanks Care to Eat for letting me participate. I can’t wait to see what next week’s ingredient will be.

CIMG1568

Along with my fabulous burger I had steamed broccoli + cauliflower

CIMG1569

And 1/2 a microwaved baked potato. I could only eat 1/2 of this 1/2… the rest went to Abbie’s dinner bowl. :)

CIMG1562

My landlord has been trying to get me to one of her arbonne ‘spa parties’ since I’ve moved here. Tonight I finally gave in and went. I’m not a fan of so called ‘spa parties.’ There was a time in college when my close circle of  friends really got into throwing Mary Kay parties so I sadly got talked into going to one once a week for a while. The arbonne reminded me of Mary Kay, just not my cup of tea. Its cool that women who are really into it can get so much out of the company, but I think I still prefer to buy my cosmetics and skin products from Target. I know I’m a cheap bastard.

At the ‘spa party’ I had a sliver of pumpkin bread someone had made. It was very yummy and really made me want to make my own healthy version of pumpkin bread, maybe next week? We’ll see… :)

1 Erica September 24, 2008 at 10:16 pm

The burgers sound great! Did you rearrange the blog a bit? It looks great! I don’t like those parties either…I hate feeling pressured to buy things I don’t want or need!

2 ttfn300 September 24, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Mmm, I always have my pork with applesauce :)

3 Erin September 24, 2008 at 10:21 pm

THOSE LOOK INCREDIBLE MEGHANN! I’m SO impressed! That’s just so freakin’ creative and awesome! YAY! Thanks for posting this!
I’m a cheap ass too. I love Target for beauty products…and clothes!

4 Megan September 24, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Great idea for the burger!

I love the Kashi cereal bars. I just tried the blackberry one and it was great!

5 lauren September 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm

very creative idea! and I am with you on the Arbonne thing – been to a party and i just cant get into it.

6 Laura September 24, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I hate those parties too because you always feel obligated to buy something. At least at Pampered Chef parties they have food. :)

Your burgers look wonderful! I could never really get into pork, but I’ve had turkey burgers with apple (Rachael Ray recipe) and they were awesome!

7 twinksy September 25, 2008 at 12:19 am

That burger is CALLIN MY NAME! I’ll be making these ohsosoon! Thanks!

8 caitlin (seebriderun) September 25, 2008 at 7:44 am

ooo dinner looked like it was yummers!

9 VeggieGirl September 25, 2008 at 7:59 am

Another fun way to use the blogger secret ingredient!! Love the innovation!!

STEAMED VEGETABLES + SWEET POTATO = HOLY YUM!!!

May I humbly suggest the pumpkin bread recipe that I have, on my blog??

10 Bridget September 25, 2008 at 8:02 am

That burger looks so delicious!! I never really think to buy ground pork, but I do love pork chops and apple sauce…such a classic! My fiance would LOVE this recipe!

11 Sagan September 25, 2008 at 10:41 am

Oh wow those burgers sound fantastic! I’ve got some ground turkey meat in my freezer that I didn’t know what to do with so maybe I’ll use it in place of the pork for this recipe.

Also how good are baked potatoes! So classic yet so tasty.

12 Natalie September 25, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Looks like a perfect meal! Those burgers look amazing.

13 Amy September 25, 2008 at 3:00 pm

oh my gosh that meals like delish. pork and apple flavor go so well together !

14 Heather February 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm

2+ years later…..

THIS LOOKS DREAMY.

thanks for updating your recipe page, posting about it, and leading me to yet another fabulous blogger recipe to add to my “must try” list.