Parking Lot Boot Camp

by Meghann on September 23, 2008

Since my 15k is on Saturday I decided to hold off on too many long runs this week. I want to be extra pumped and motivated on race day with that itchy feeling I get when I haven’t been running. So, this morning’s exercise routine was a little mix up of random things I threw together in my head.

I began with a short 15 minute run around my apartment complex. After the run I decided to hit my parking lot for what Caitlin likes to refer to as a ‘Parking Lot Boot Camp’ workout. (At least I think that’s what she referred to it as, I was too lazy to find the post)

My version of it:

• 10 complete suicides (about 8 parking spots long)
  • 30 jumping jacks
  • 30 jump ropes
  • 30 high knees
  • 30 butt kicks

I repeated this routine 3 times. Abbie stood watch the whole time, protecting me in the dimly lit parking lot. She even tried to run the suicides with me!

Once back in the apartment I was determined to do the ab work I missed yesterday.

• 4 sets of side plank crunches, 6 reps each
  • 50 crunches
  • 50 bicycles
  • 50 leg kick thingys
  • 25 crunches
  • 25 reverse crunches
  • 50 bicycles
  • I held a plank position for 30 seconds x2

I never really have any clear cut ab plan. While I’m laying on the floor I just kind of do what ever ab exercise comes to my head at the time. I really need to get a specific routine that will target different areas of my abs, does anyone have any good suggestions?

Breakfast this morning was yet again another experiment; can you tell I like to experiment each morning with my breakfast? I had a leftover can of crushed pineapple from Sunday’s cupcakes so I decided to incorporate that in my cereal. I figured since the puréed peach had worked so well, that maybe the crushed pineapple would have the same effect.

I combined ½ cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with 2/3 cup of Kashi Heart to Heart and topped it with a few spoonfuls of crushed pineapple and a handful of red grapes.

It was a pretty good tropical creation. My only complaint was that I did not even attempt to drain the pineapple. The top of the bowl was nice and crunchy, but at the end the pineapple juice made the cereal a little soggy. I will recreate this in the future and just make sure to drain the pineapple before plopping it on the cereal.

Ok, time to get back to work.

1 caitlin (seebriderun) September 23, 2008 at 9:13 am

yay i love parking lot bootcamp!!

your ab routinue is so much better than mine. i just do bicycle crunches and call it a day. :(

2 Megan September 23, 2008 at 10:12 am

Yeah for bootcamp! What a great idea to combine pineapple and grapes!

3 runjess September 23, 2008 at 10:33 am

I do have ab suggestions for you, but I see you found it on the blog already. The Ultimate Ab Workout for Runners is linked in my sidebar. The planks are brutal, but now I’m holding them for 2.5 minutes! *dies*

4 fitnessista September 23, 2008 at 10:37 am

ooooh i like the parking lot bootcamp!!
i like your ab routine! i used to do my abs 4 times a week (every other day) and they look much better when i only do them 2 times a week. i usually do 1 exercise that targets lower abs, 1 upper, 1 oblique exercise and do the same format for the step class i teach that night. so i usually do 3 sets of 12-15 of 6 different exercises, twice a week.
great idea with the tropical breakfast- it looks wonderful!

5 graduatemeghann September 23, 2008 at 11:46 am

Jess – I actually bookmarked that work out and attemped to do it this morning (that’s where the side plank crunches came in) but then it got complicated and required extra equipment so I just gave up. But at least the plank crunches were awesome. :)

fitnessista – I’m lucky if I do abs once a week, but its good to know I only have to do them twice a week to succeed. Thanks for the advice, it’s good to know I don’t have to feel bad if I don’t do them every day. Maybe that will inspire me to actually stick to a twice a week routine!

6 Erin September 23, 2008 at 12:12 pm

That sounds pretty good! Pineapple and grapes taste so good together.
I only work abs once or twice a week and I usually just do stuff for lower abs and obliques. It seems like the upper abs are fine w/o any targeted work. You know? Except for exercises that work the whole muscle.
I also like yoga for getting the muscles behind the 6 pack.

7 Natalie September 23, 2008 at 12:12 pm

I know what you mean about not having an ab routine. Arms and legs are easy, but I can never find what works for abs! My routines are pretty spur of the moment, let us know what works for you. :)

8 VeggieGirl September 23, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Great workout and tropical breakfast creation!

9 Angela September 23, 2008 at 5:42 pm

dude meghann you should really go to walmart and kid one of those cheap kids balls that they use for like dodge ball and stuff. they have a bunch of exercises you can do and its a real work out. i did it for a couple of weeks and saw results almost immediatly.